AXELOS have launched a new version of the PRINCE2 manual (2017 version). How will it affect me? Should I wait for the 2017 version of the PRINCE2 manual or take my Practitioner training and examination with version 2009?
We would thoroughly recommend that you take your training and examination with version 2009 of the PRINCE2 manual for the following reasons:
- Fundamentally, there is no difference in the 2017 manual; therefore, you will not be disadvantaged in any way. Additionally, your certification will still be valid if you take your PRINCE2 Practitioner examination with the 2009 version and you do not need to retake it with the 2017 version.
- If you have already passed your PRINCE2 Foundation Examination and have purchased a copy of the 2009 manual, then you do not need to buy a new one to take the PRINCE2 Practitioner examination.
- The new manual is likely to cost at least an additional £10 ($17 Canadian, $13 US Dollars, or €14 Euros)
- Your PRINCE2 Practitioner accreditation will be valid for 5 years instead of 3 years. AXELOS have informed us that delegates will either need to join their Continuing Professional Development (CPD) scheme at a cost or they will need to re-register every 3 years.
- The re-registration examination will no longer be available after 31st December 2017. From 2018, candidates will have to take the full examinations at the higher rate.
- The new examination questions are under review and they may be difficult to understand. It may be advisable to wait for the 2017 version examinations, until the trainers have a good grasp of the terminology and the questions have been reviewed further.
Furthermore, for all those colleagues whose PRINCE2 registration will expire in under two years time, we would ask you all to take your re-registration examination by the end of 2017, for the reasons stated above